Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Whoa. That was intense.


Amelia and I shared an unforgettable experience yesterday -- she was constipated. She had gone only one day without po0ping, but during the event I could not believe how much I felt like a midwife helping her through the painful delivery. For the first time in motherhood, I had to stand by and watch my daughter do something incredibly difficult and painful, but it just had to be done. There were a few small things I could do to frantically assist, but for the most part it was up to her.
During the screaming and pushing, I caught myself looking back and forth around the room, as if someone should be there to help or take over. Nope, just me. I called my pediatrician, who of course didn't answer, but I made sure to leave a voicemail that included Amelia's screaming and grunting, so he would understand the depth of the situation. The next person who answered the phone is my older sis, Jess, who calmly talked me through what to do, amidst my insanity.
After the last push she was wiped out and we went back to the living room to nurse. She fell into a fast, hard sleep on my chest and I finally got my heart rate back down. A few calls to mom and some experienced sisters later, and I felt like I had a handle on the situation. Whoa. That was intense.

3 comments:

  1. Yikes. Good thing we have such great sisters to walk us through scary times like this. I think the scariest part would be looking around and realizing you are "Dr. Heather". Very scary. Glad she's as tough as her mom is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw the baby constipation doula (or midwife definitely if you were actually assisting in the delivery!) I love it. Well done Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On reading your account of how you were hurting for your baby's hurt.. only the first of many kinds of hurts to come. I think God made mothers tough because He knew they would have to withstand so many of these throughout their life times.. Mom's and baby's. In this instance you were able to help. Other times all you can do is stand back and ask God to help her, because you can't. You are a very good mother, Heather, no matter if certain physical hygiene experiences get overlooked at times. (Stinky neck syndrome)

    ReplyDelete