Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Wow, it's been a while!





As I finish week 32 of this pregnancy, and Amelia continues to blossom into the energetic toddler that she is, I don't think I need to mention why I haven't been able to sit down and blog in the last few months. As Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas have raced by and now I find myself dangerously close to being a mother of two, Grant and I are as happy as ever. Every day presents new stories that I wish I could record more often, so I'll just say a few of the recent, daily, happenings that I hope I never forget.
Amelia is now able to take her own diaper off. So, as I was in the bedroom and heard the scratching of the velcro indicating the diaper was being removed, I stomped out to scold her, which of course startled her, so she ripped her diaper completely off and threw it across the living room to scurry and hide in her indoor play tent. The problem was: she'd just pooped in the diaper. Yuck.

Last night I was trying EVERYTHING to get Amelia to eat a simple grilled ham and cheese sandwich for dinner. Instead she was wailing for some sugary yogurt, crackers, ice cream and popsicles, and hearing "no" to her requests only made the situation escalate. Grant relieved me of her and stood in front of the fridge with her as she cried and he tried to comprimise with her. Minutes later, I came to kitchen as she was inhaling pot roast and potatoes...in addition to the sandwich I'd made her. Wide eyed, I asked, "how did you do that?" He responded with a sympathetic look, "Not everyone's cut out for parenting, Heath". Thanks, honey. Can't wait for baby number two.

Amelia never misses a chance to say "hi baby!" to my bulging belly, gives it a kiss and lays her soft head on my tummy. I would love to know if she really understands a baby is in there, but it is such a gift to me that she seems aware of it.
We left Amelia's little play-stroller outside for a few weeks. After snow, wind, rain and messy December weather, it's covered in pine needles and filth. She wanted to bring it in to finally play with it, so I told her we needed to clean it first. I got the bath going, with dishsoap, and with her at my side watching my every move (and very concerned about the stroller), I started scrubbing and explained that it needed to be cleaned. She put her little hand on my back as I scrubbed, and then layed her head on my shoulder while she stood. Then she turned my face with her hands, and very seriously brushed my hair out of my face with her hands to lean in and give me a very sweet kiss. It was like she was so worried about the condition of the stroller, and was so thankful I was taking care of it. I'm not sure if that's what all the emotion was actually attributed to, but it was very apparent and sweet. Anyways, just another special moment.

3 comments:

  1. AHHH! These special moments are too sweet, Heath! I'm sure Amelia was completely aware of the hard work going into her precious stroller. Good job, mom.

    And I didn't know that she said, "hi baby" to your belly!!! That is so cute, Heath. I love reading these. And since you do nothing all day but lay around and watch soaps, let's hear some more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious moments! Keeping them alive for all time by recording in your blog is a wonderful thing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed your posts! Congrats on already being on week 32!! I'm so excited to hear what life is like with two kiddos! You'll be amazing!

    I LOVE your Amelia stories, too! Just picturing her giving you a kiss while you were cleaning her stroller melts my heart! I love baby kisses!

    Also, I wanted to let you know about a cool website I just found. It's called blog2print. Basically, they make your entire blog into a book. I've started a blog just for Mia (that only I can read, so I can make it more personal - like a baby book). It's pretty amazing! Anyway, I thought you may want to check it out!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete