Monday, March 29, 2010

Man I love those church ladies

I love this pic.

Yep, you're seeing that right, those are pig tails.


This Sunday I completed a huge feat: We went to church. This means I dropped Amelia off at the nursery for the first time. As if it weren't difficult enough for me to leave her with my own twin sister, now I dropped her off with some smiley old lady who allowed me zero time to give my long, dramatic goodbye, let alone even see the nursery (which I didn't). She literally reached over the counter, took Amelia from me and whisked her away into the unknown. I had to tell myself to close my mouth as I watched the back of Amelia's cute little head, name tag stuck to her back, bob down the hall with the cheery, wrinkly lady. But after some thought, I realized that old lady knew exactly what she was doing: sparing us the drama and embarrassment that is created by an overbearing, first-time mom. Those church ladies, what a sharp set of gals.

I picked up Amelia after the service. She appeared to have a great time doing who-knows-what for an hour, and now we're experiencing the inevitable cold that follows her exposure to the general public. I can't help but compare the repercussions of that crazy hour at the nursery to a wild night out that we'd have in college, that we'd pay for with a hang over. Life's funny that way I guess.

Also...Amelia made the swim team. Lessons start next week, I can't wait!



3 comments:

  1. Number one: LOVE the pic of Cash and Amelia!
    Number two: I'm so impressed you were able to make it to church. We've only done it once and it was SO hard! I'm hoping Easter will be the start of our weekly attendance! :)
    Number three: Can't wait to put Mia's hair in pigtails! Amelia looks so sweet!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amelia and Cash! So beautifully expressing love and trust mentally, Their facial expressions show me that Amelia is thinking "I just love Cash, he's so much fun",,, and Cash,, "I'll very quietly chew up and spit out anyone who touches her!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. And about the "wrinkly old church ladies"... at one time they felt the same way you do at leaving your child, so they really do know what works best. Another step in "growing up" for Amelia, and a step for Mom in letting the string of attachment stretch out a little farther. A difficult lesson for both... my sympathies!

    ReplyDelete