Wednesday, March 17, 2010

sorry, Mills.




The other day Me and Amelia went to Fred Meyer for a few groceries; a fantastic activity for her right now. We leisurely wondered the store, she strained around me to make eye contact with every soul in there, and try to find anything that resembled a big shiny balloon. (As all mom's know, it's a great way to kill 45 minutes). We finished up and were heading out to the parking lot, feeling the early spring's warm air. As usual, I had my wallet in my pocket, groceries in one hand, and Amelia on the other arm. As we approached the truck, it hit me: "KEYS." Yep, I locked 'em in the truck when I was first pulling Amelia out. I called Grant who happened to be working in the area. Not wanting to go back inside the store, I opened the tailgate and Amelia and I climbed in the truck bed and waited.

If you know me well, you know I forget things, a lot. I always have. In high school our parents ALWAYS had to bring us our forgotten mit, jersey, book, lunch, tennishoes, etc.. And fortunately we were in a small enough town that anyone could find one of us and say, "uh, you left your passenger seat door wide open in the parking lot". In college Meg and I survived only because there were two of us to bring what the other forgot due to a desperate call from our cell phone, or Grant was always our savior; walking behind us in any public place with our forgotten purses, keys, licenses, coats, etc.

So, as I'm sitting in the bed of my truck in the Fred Meyer parking lot with my 11 month old daughter, I couldn't help but think, "I'm sorry, Amelia, for bringing you into my life of irresponsibility. This won't be the last time we'll be sitting, waiting for dad to bring us something I've forgotten. In fact, this is only the beginning of me stopping dead in my tracks saying 'oh crap!' and fumbling for my cell phone to call for help." I hope this is something we can all learn together, this "responsibility" thing. Who knows, maybe Amelia will be so tired of me forgetting things that she will always be the one to remember and remind us of all of our items....when she's two.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry - this is exactly why I NEVER leave the car without my keys hanging out of my mouth. After at least 20 calls to Belfair Bob to open the car (and never telling your Dad EVER) I can honestly say I have become totally connected to the keys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keys! So nice when they are in the right place at the right time! I, who have prided myself on 'always' having my keys in the right place at the right time, found a need to call Belfair Bob when recently stopped at QFC gas station. Getting out into the cold with money and QFC card in hand, shoving the door shut, and looking in and seeing THE KEYS lying on the seat....door locked, of course. So much for pride! I think I'll arrange some sort of a leash from the keys to my belt, so when I go out, the keys automatically go with me...???

    ReplyDelete