Thursday, July 29, 2010

family jewels

We all have our weird phobias. Some people can't stand spiders, some heights, some water. And then there are some people out there who are literally spooked by very strange things, like...jewelery. I was surprised to learn that my good-ol'-boy-husband has this jewelry phobia. Necklaces, rings, earrings, you name it, he hates it. He's not "scared" of jewelry, but he really is grossed out by it. He's very specific about when jewelry crosses the point of disgust for him, but he will make it clear that he can't stand it, especially in piles on a counter and especially not in someones mouth. Interestingly enough, his little sister shares this phobia. After doing a little research online, although rare, there really are people who are grossed out by jewelry.

When I first learned of this, naturally I did what any normal person would do, I dangled as much shiny jewelry in front of his face as I could, saying "Really? This is gross to you? Really??" And then watch him cringe and gag. "This?" with a little more shaking near his face. If I'm feeling down and need a laugh now and then, I'll get out a big ol' necklace and watch him go. It always seems to lift my spirits.

Well, as you'll see in this video, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree....


4 comments:

  1. That is just the cutest thing ever! Get him, Mills! Get him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmyword, this is the funniest thing on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to get out my Abenaki grass beads for her...the turquoise color will enhance her olive complexion! And probably provide many sessions of giggles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If a person cannot join in the laughter while watching this video, they are to be pitied! Their life is a total desert!

    ReplyDelete