Wednesday, May 26, 2010

roughing it will have to wait


Grant and I love camping, are good at it, and have always been pretty low-maintenance when it comes to sleeping arrangements and necessities. I love the old saying, "You don't prepare to fail, you fail to prepare", and have always thought that with efficient planning and packing, any camping trip can be a ton of fun. Amelia strongly proved us wrong last weekend. We went camping with my parents and Sam and Faye (5 y/o niece & nephew) up at Whiskey Creek. It was beautiful weather, my parents trailer is big, nice, new, clean and comfortable and my mom is literally a loving servant for us. I did a fantastic job packing everything we would need. Yet, Amelia had an incredibly difficult time sleeping at night. Even with the gorgeous view and peaceful surroundings, our lack of sleep left us (mostly me) crabby and tense. Bringing a one year old camping is a difficult task, and the worry of bothering the people you may be camping with only magnifies the stress. This little lesson can only be learned through experience, especially if you have a "we can handle it, we're tougher than most people" type of attitude like myself.

I know it's my fault; I've trained Amelia to be a high maintenance kid. But in looking back over the last year, I don't regret making life as comfortable as possible for Amelia's first year. Maybe with the second kid I won't be so crazy; unconciously tending to her every need to assure smooth naps, mealtimes, playing, and evenings. I can honestly say I've done the best I can without knowing what the heck I'm doing, and learning as I go.

Even with the rough nights, there were definitely some fun times during our trip. And yes, we will definitely be doing this again, just not with a one-year old :) Someday Amelia will learn to rough it.

3 comments:

  1. No-you haven't trained her to be a "high maintanance kid". You've just loved her and tended to her basic needs, which, unfortunately, has resulted in a very happy, chubby, well rested little girl. Yeah Heath, you've really screwed this one up.

    Love the pics, love your smiles. Can't wait to see you all again on a weekend trip...in a hotel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember traveling and camping with a one year old, plus a 6, 8, & 10 year old, sleeping all six of us in an 8X10 tent! Amelia will learn to survive the simplicity of camping and get to enjoy it. She looks quite happy in the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with Meg.

    If the kid ain't happy, ain't nobody happy (especially the mom, who really, really, really needs to be happy!!!!!)
    Hotels are nice....

    ReplyDelete